Saturday, June 8, 2013

One for the Road

Yes, I am one of those people who go to restaurants and take pictures of her food. So no surprise that I would find pictures of food on my phone.
 
Papdi Chaat
Chicken Korma

Delicious Basmatic  Rice in forefront and Chana Masala in background

Gulab Jamun

I had seen a Groupon for “Tandoor and Curry” and decided to get it. I invited my friend who is an aficionado when it comes to Indian food. So off we went one Saturday evening for an evening of Indian food. They had a gorgeous buffet but I don’t like buffets (because I will try to eat more than my money’s worth) and the Groupon wasn’t valid for the buffet. We were seated and got the menu. Appetizer was Papdi Chaat. My friend had the Chana Masala while I had the Chicken Korma. Dessert was Gulab Jamun. Overall, the experience was savory: the appetizer had a sweet, tangy taste while the entrĂ©e was spicy then the dessert was sweet. Tandoor & Curry Restaurant (or Indian Chillies) is located at 4465 N. University Dr, Lauderhill, FL 33319.

That great experience made me want to try some other cuisines.  So when I saw a Groupon for a Hungarian restaurant, I bought it. Why not?


On the plus side, they served a lot of food for the money. 
Food we both liked: corn chowder and spetzle. 
corn chowder
Spetzle in the background of the Chicken Paprikash  

Food she liked: red cabbage. 
Red Cabbage

Food I liked: potato pancake and salad. 
Potato Pancake

Salad

On the negative side (since I watch too many cooking shows plus I looked up their menus and googled for images and ingredients so I knew what I would order), the entrees were disappointing: big pieces of bland chicken drowning in sauce (server also left an extra jug for sauce in case I needed more), the egg batter on the tasteless fish
Flounder Francese with yellow rice
seemed undone and the desserts tasted like they were made earlier in the week, frozen (and freezer burned) then warmed up and served with whip cream.
Crepe

Apple Strudel
My friend had asked for the filling on the side not inside but they couldn’t accommodate (nothing wrong with prepping some components ahead of time but couldn’t they wait until serving time before putting it together? Or not… to accommodate the customer. Where is Chef Ramsey?  Looking around, the demographic of the crowd was an older and they seem to be regulars by their banter with the staff. They seem to enjoy the food and the social atmosphere by the family style seating arrangement. Maybe it's my palette because I do like spicy food or maybe they need Chef Ramsey.


No comments:

Post a Comment