Saturday, November 28, 2015

Who Are You Fooling?

Writers sometimes make up their own world but whether or not it is believable is a task for the reader. Similarly, lawyers may present their case but jury (or judge, depending on type of case) decides the credible facts. However, how is it that advertisers present early Black Friday on Thursday? It befuddles my mind because when they have a sale on Memorial Day is called a "Memorial Day Sale" so if they have a sale on Thanksgiving Day, then why not call it "Thanksgiving Day Sale?"

Even writers have to face the readers' wrath (or skepticism). For example, if a writer uses a known town then that writer should know that some readers will fact-check and call him/her on errors in describing that town.

With that spirit, here's a poem:
When I first saw him 

I had my camera waiting for nature’s perfect autograph
In the dense, lush vegetation near Lauderhill’s City Hall;
I was looking through my lens for that perfect photograph.

This is where I first saw him, glistened in the rays of the sun
That reflected on his taut skin and highlighted his firm body

As he relaxed under one of the trees towards Inverrary
And the sun shone through the canopy of leaves,
A sweet breeze reminded me that the day is done.

He then turned his head towards me and I stood still…

I stood still, hoping he wouldn’t notice me
Hoping I could blend into the background
But his eyes found me and he expanded his dewlap
So I knew that he saw me and then he scurried up the tree.
 from Seventieth Avenue, copyright 2015 Suzzette Dawes


No comments:

Post a Comment