Saturday, September 5, 2015

On Rhyming

What's wrong with rhyming? Modern poets seem to frown on poems that rhymes comparing them to nursery rhymes. But what do I remember more? Which is more memorable? Their poems or nursery rhymes? 

Don't get me wrong: I do enjoy the imagery and other techniques of modern poetry but I still enjoy some rhyme. In fact, I love recognizing form and literary devices. When the rhyme is not forced, I find the poem divine. When I write, I don't always rhyme or use a form (not that I don't thrive to) as I mostly go with the flow.  

Yet most of the poetry I remember from high school had rhyme. It made it easier to memorize. I recall Rudyard Kipling's "The Secret of the Machines." It was a long poem but I memorized it as part of the speech choir.

Maybe as I age, my memorization skill has faded so it's hard to recall memorable lines in modern poetry (sorry Ezra Pound, T.S. Elliott and Amy Lowell).

In my poem this week, I used repetition, imagery and some rhyme. Do you recognize any other forms or literary techniques? If yes, share in the comments below:


No comments:

Post a Comment