Saturday, August 29, 2015

Kokeshi Dreams

Friday was the opening reception and Art Exhibit "Dark Chocolate Japan" at Sunrise Civic Ctr. 10610 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Sunrise, FL 33351. Carlos Aleman was the only artist exhibiting but he gave a nice variety although all Japanese influenced. He worked with various media including paper mâché, acrylics and other media.

My favorite pieces are the Kokeshi pieces:
Kokeshi Mache - I was amazed at how it was made - looking at it I assumed it was more durable material but it is made of paper mâché and mixed media

A Kokeshi Story seem to combine many Japanese styles. I recognize a Samurai/Shogun that appeared to be woodblock print but I believe it was a painting because other styles were at play such as cosplay characters and even some realistic images. It seemed to be the crowd favorite as I couldn't get close enough to take a picture.
He seemed very good with working on masonites whether it is mixed media as in Booboolan or Traveling Companions.

Some recurring themes include space ships and tentacles such as in Attack, Wrapped Up in Tentacles and Encounter. 

I got a chance to meet Catlos and asked only two questions. He was very nice. Here are my qJest ions:: 
How long will the display be here? Until October 10th
Did you use any models? No, it was just imagination. 

I was surprised because in some of the art, the faces seem so realistic.

Overall impression
I loved the style, vivid colors and Japanese influence. Some paintings had a surreal feel but with realistic touches even the one that resembled a graphic novel. I could easily see this exhibit fitting in at nearby Morikami gallery.

If you can't make the art exhibit, check out his website at carlosaleman.com.

In honor of this exhibit, here's my first attempt at a tanka (Tanka is non-rhyming Japanese poetry form composed in five lines, in 5-7-5-7-7 format, 31 syllables in total. It consists of two elements. The first three lines (5-7-5) is called kami-no-ku (literally upper phrase) and the last two lines (7-7) is called shimo-no-ku (literally lower phrase).




No comments:

Post a Comment