Friday, March 20, 2015

Perform or Read

"You wrote it. Why don't you know it by heart?"

And give up hiding behind the paper, podium, book, clipboard. Let me read and glance at the crowd sporadically like the lizard in my backyard that jumped from the mango to the ackee tree and almost scared the life out of me. It was so green, so big and that strange tail.

So I read. I try to be animated, use some small gestures, inflect my voice. I stay on the X, don't move much from the spot but I try to look around the whole room so no one gets just my back.

Oh I enjoy those who use the whole stage and it looks so common nature. The performance: so smooth, so good.

Let me try that: it would be so whack! Plus my nerves have a bad habit of getting the better of me. So give me the podium and give me the mic, I promise I won't bore on Saturday night.

Here's hoping to see you at Cinema Paradiso on Saturday, March 28th at 6 pm.

Here's a poem from my soon to be released poetry book: Seventieth Avenue 



No comments:

Post a Comment