Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dreams and/or Delusions of Poetry

With all the poetry, poets and poems in movie (Beat poets have been dominating the movie scene "Howl," "On the Road," and "Kill Your Darlings"), I dream of hosting an event that evolves around poetry and film. I was dreaming yesterday
First, I researched films about poet and poetry.
(Yes, I was not surprised to find several databases that show movies based on poems:

15 Movies Based On Poems - Huffington Post

10 Great Movies Based on Poems – Flavorwire

Next, I narrowed the search to find movies released on or after 2012. The list was still promising. I read the synopsis and drafted a dream program for April (since it is National Poetry Month):

10:00 – 10:15 am           Opening Remarks
10:15                            Movie
Rita Dove: An American Poet

10:55 am                       Harlem Voices: The Poetry Of Langston Hughes And Claude McKay
http://www.filmsmediagroup.com/ItemDetails.aspx?TitleId=24065

11:30 – 1 pm                 Poetry Reading in Courtyard & Lunch

1:00 pm                        A Poet in New York
(about poet Dylan Thomas)

                        2:30 pm                        Lemon
(about poet Lemon Anderson)
www.lemonthemovie.com/lemon-the-movie/about.php‎

4:00 pm                        Tar
(inspired by CK Williams’ work with a lot of Hollywood biggies).
www.imdb.com/title/tt2133333/‎


Now that would be my program based on my research. Question is how much is it to get the rights of these films so I could show them? I could actually get a venue, possibly do some advertising and get some folks to attend. Is my dream reachable or am I delusional?

###
poetry AROUND TOWN 

Poetry Club. South Regional/BC Library Multi-Purpose Room. Monthly, every 3rd Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

Poetry & Spoken Word. Goddess Store n Studio. 2017 Harrison St, Hollywood, FL. Monthly, every 3rd Sunday. 6 pm.

Open mike (music, comedy, poetry). Gigi’s Music CafĂ©. 4385 NW 88 Ave. Sunrise, FL. Weekly on Wednesdays at 7 pm.

Some resources for poetry events include poetry.openmikes.org and meetup.com.

###

my poem for the week 

 Since I day dreamed above, here's one to dreaming in my sleep:

No comments:

Post a Comment