Sunday, May 29, 2016

Feature Poet: Michael Mack

On Saturday, I hosted a poetry reading at Cinema Paradiso. Not only did we receive a good audience, we had many different readers who shared their work or recited a favorite poem. Just in time for Memorial Day, the featured poet is Michael Mack.


What poets inspire you?
Well, I am basically a structure poet with a preference toward rhyme and meter so my heroes have been Poe, Robert Service and, at the top of the list, Banjo Paterson. On the free verse side, I admire Sylvia Plath and Pablo Neruda.

Why do you enjoy writing? 
Basically, I am a very quiet person and writing allows me to express myself in a non-vocal way. I also enjoy the challenge of creating something that touches someone else in a positive way.
enjoyed your poems tonight and would like to feature you and your poems on my blog this week. If you could please send me the text of your poems: "Small Pain in my Chest", "Friday Night at Walmart" and "The Robot."  You mentioned that the "Small Pain in my Chest" was previously published or recited at an event,  could you include the event and dedication.
 As I mentioned, my poem SMALL PAIN IN MY CHEST was read before thousands of people at the funeral services of the first Blackhawk helicopter pilot shot down in Iraq. It is also included in the high school literature textbooks in India as required reading, Although the event in the poem is fictitious, I based it on my experiences in the military and knowing how soldiers think and feel. 






Author has retained all copyright in work above but has granted me permission to reprint on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment