Saturday, May 23, 2015

Weeding Things Out

A lot of other writers might tell you to write everything down then weed out what doesn't add to your story later.

I disagree.

If writing is like gardening, the weeds could take over. I have planted some pineapple tops some time ago. It's near the canal so I just let it grow. Yesterday I noticed that weed that climbs up wall was covering it. I grabbed the weed whacker and with a whirr, whirr, whirr, I was trimming away. Then I snagged a pineapple top and had to stop. I worked slowly to release it from the whacker and replanted it. After that ideal, I delineated the edge and worked the whacker at the edge then weeded by hand.

If writing is like gardening then editing is like weeding. Considering I still have more hand weeding to go to redeem my plantings, do you still want to let everything grow (write everything down) then weed later (that's a lot of editing)?

I'll leave you with a poem while you ponder that thought:

BTW, Poetry Reading at Cinema Paradiso on Saturday, May 23, 2015.





No comments:

Post a Comment