Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day

Last year, I took some Wilton courses and my mom was so overjoyed with the cake hat I made her except she doesn't like fondant.
Therefore for mother's day this year, I was determined to make another cake hat but with her favorite icing - Royal icing.

Then it came to me that building a cake hat is much like writing a story. It takes planning then actually executing the plan. Part of the planning is gathering all the ingredients when making a cake. Much like the ingredients, there could be details to research. Another part of the planning is checking the oven. Is there one? Is it working? What is its capacity?
Similarly when writing, is there computer or pencil and paper?
Then the fun begins. Saturday - I baked 2-6" cakes for top of hat and 1-12" cake for flap of hat. Then I decided to use light layer of Royal icing on cakes after soaking layers with rum.


Monday - I made wired leaves and buds
I also made more Royal Icing and gave the tiers another layer of icing.

Tuesday - I stopped at Michaels and bought a larger cake board base and gum paste. I smoothed out icing as best as possible. Royal Icing can be a royal pain at times. Then I placed bamboo in bottom layer to support tier. I couldn't figure how to do ribbon with Royal so I made ribbon with fondant and added to base of both layers. 

Ah, ribbon on the edge of the hat!

Then I made bow and left to dry. 

Final task of the evening was to develop the buds to roses.

Wednesday, I used some of that Isomalt technique that I learnt at SoFlo for the top of the hat

Friday, I wrapped and assembled the flowers and leaves. Then Saturday, I put it all together. I had visualized one of those fancy derby hats. What do you think?
How close to a hat is it?
Also, when you write do you start with one concept and when you add all the parts, the outcome is surprising?

1 comment:

  1. Your article is extraordinarily smart.I love to browse your diary's posts everyday and that i got vast facilitate from your blog and developed a replacement app deviated septum treatment you'll check.Thanks for wonderful diary.

    ReplyDelete