Saturday, January 10, 2015

What Keeps Us From Writing?

I don’t know what kept you from writing in 2014 (or even 2013) but this is 2015 so let’s get writing!

Not so fast, you say? I have a WIP from 2013 and I should be ashamed it is taking me this long to finish (plus I started 3 more WIPs in 2014)?

Okay, you're right but I had  so many things to do (which by the way are still undone such as the bathroom organizer I finally put together on December 31, 2014 that was purchased in March 2013 and I still have another already purchased box waiting to be assembled). 

Hah! I can’t believe how much I procrastinate. My go to excuse is work (my day job). For 2015, I have to get stuff done. Period.

So I did a little soul searching: There was no way the college me could have succeeded living the way I do now. Back then, I had two jobs (most of the time) and carried a full load 12-16 credits. So what was different? I planned out everything for the semester. Hmm. This could be something I carry forward. Next, I download a write-able calendar and just plan the first quarter.

Two self-led courses, writing and exercise takes precedence. Of course, put some honesty in it such as TV time. I got some favorite shows: 2 Broke Girls, Hot in Cleveland, The Exes, Sirens, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, The Middle and Elementary (some will just have to be watched On Demand on Fridays). My day job likes to have functions on Wednesdays when the full work force is there so I won’t put an early evening start.

As I promptly put together my new grill the evening it was received, I realized that I needed to clear up (or assembly my other box) soon. This should clear up last year’s thing-to-do and give me a fresh start for Monday, January 12th. Here’s the core of the schedule which I have placed on a planner and in several prominent spots around my home:

Monday
6-8 pm: CBT
8-9 pm:TV
9-10 pm: WRITE
Tuesday
6 pm: glider, rower or reformer
8-10 pm WRITE
Wednesday
7-10 pm: CBT
10-11 pm: TV
Thursday
5 pm walk
8-9 pm: TV
9-10 pm WRITE
Friday
Cake making, cleaning & TV night
Saturday
9 am BLOG
10 am Yardwork
4 PM CP
Sunday
8:00 am walk
WRITE

I also factor in some outings that I am aware of in my calendar. I’ll let you know at the end of the quarter if I am closer to finishing my WIPs. Two questions for you:
What keeps you from writing?

How do you propose to fix it?



1 comment:

  1. 1/14/15: I did some modification such as Read instead of Write for this week since I need to read to finish my research. But exercise plan is working so far.

    ReplyDelete