Sunday, September 21, 2014

Still Embracing Autumn with Poetry

After sitting in the audience at Louder Than A Bomb this past Saturday evening, I'm encouraged to support poetry events. Spoken word has all the glory, and like rap, a lot of people especially young people are taken. The evening highlighted the in-your-face style that I dislike for myself. I'll admit to not being a fan of the "spoken word" style nor my family who left me solo when I shared what kind of poetry event but I went anyhow. Yet, when they vary the voice, tone and mood (even add a little song), it is not all in your face and the overall effect is good.

The evening started with the students. The duo were cute, introducing what's to come for the rest of the night in rhyme. Then she started strong but paused, stood there, when she forgot her words.  The audience was kind and waited until she could recall and move on. If she was reading (had a paper to read from), then she wouldn't have been stuck. But I do appreciate the hard work inputted to memorize the lines. Then another young lady she walked from the audience with her mic, her tone started soft but then she did the "spoken word" fast and hard speak then she ended soft. The effect was good. Next the quartet that poetry was straight from the news: from Ferguson event to Robin Williams' death.

The emcee returned and explained what they are trying to do, help young people through poetry. He then encouraged the audience to take out their phones and go on social media and let people know where they were. It's important to note that the professionals that follow all shared how poetry helped them and elevated them. They all were excellent: Betrand Boyd, Carlos Robson, Jason Carney and Asia.

I agreed with the message delivered although I was waiting for an audience member or two to jump up with an "Amen" because it got preachy at times. I also noticed that rhymes in couplets and/or quatrains are spoken artists' favorite tools. One of my favorite artist ended the night. His stuff was deep though unlike the last time I heard him loving the 90s. He also reminded me of supporting artists especially when they have projects that need funding. So now, I want to encourage everyone to support two projects on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/693237577/100-wishes-for-broward
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theasiaproject/the-asia-project-touch-album?ref=nav_search 
Overall it was a good night with positive messages: the poets overcame difficulties with the aid of poetry. I definitely share that sentiment about poetry. Next week I will have an opportunity to share and will try encourage any style that will help you heal thyself. Feel free to invite and share as the below events are free. morning and/or evening.

Support poetry events and I invite you to come to these poetry events:


Gulfstream Writers Presents
Autumn Poetry Workshop
Saturday, September 27, 2014
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Hallandale Beach Branch Community Room 2
300 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale, FL 33009, 954-357-6380

Contact
Tasha Watson
954-357-6380

I hope to hear you read!
Join us at Cinema Paradiso for Poetry in the Courtyard with sign up starting at 5:30 pm on Saturday, September 27, 2014.

Reading begins at 6:00 pm so bring some poems to read or just sit back, relax and listen to the words flow in the Courtyard.
Hosted by Suzzette Dawes
Cinema Paradiso is located at
503 SE 6th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Tell a friend! Bring a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment