Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Featured Poet: Sue Malone

The next poetry reading at Cinema Paradiso-Fort Lauderdale is Saturday, July 23rd at 6 pm. I hope to see you there. In the meantime, here's a feature on a poet who has been writing a poem a day and frequently reads at the event.

What inspired you to write the particular poem?
These five poems were inspired the way most of mine have been recently.  A random idea or phrase or sight grabs my attention and I run with it.  I like to capture passing thoughts and moments and keep them in poems.  It reminds me how significant little things are.
Which poets inspire you?
I honestly don’t read a lot of poetry, but I love A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, the Psalms, Ogden Nash and Sandra Boynton.

Why do you enjoy writing?
Writing poetry makes me lose track of time.  It puts order and rhythm into an unpredictable world. It’s soothing and invigorating at the same time.  It adds surprising dimensions to my thoughts and experiences.  And I like to make people laugh. 
Poetry: five quatrains from Sue Malone

Biography
Susan Malone is a wife, mother, grandmother, non-political Christian, poet, song-writer, piano player, former preschool teacher, homemaker and cutter of paper shapes.  She has been more successful in some of these endeavors than others, but she continues to try to improve at them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment