Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tallahassee II

Last weekend I went to Tallahassee
The black top, shrubbery and trees
Was all I saw for miles and miles
Until just after turnpike and before I-10, red leaves

Either green or stark branches for miles and miles
Interspersed among the green were red trees
I didn't know the type of tree but appreciated the beauty
Unlike my mom misunderstanding of my cousin's sexuality

She's still my cousin, she's still my mother's niece 
I couldn't understand the questions my mother was asking me
Her concern seems misplaced of my well-being
I've travelled much further and have been away longer without a peep

It made me shake my head in disbelief
That she thought what she thought
And the impact that it would have on me
My mother and her strange theories about her niece

Tallahassee I've wanted to visit but also visit my younger cousin
Who's busy and involved with events in her community.
We remembered the times when I took her and her brother to watch Toy Story
We made new memories visiting the capital and a night of karaoke.


Copyright (c) 2016 Suzzette Dawes

No comments:

Post a Comment