Saturday, July 11, 2015

Politics and Poetry

Politics can evoke strong emotions. That passion can inspire poetry. A couple politicians have been known to be poets too. One that comes to mind is A.P. Herbert and I think of his titles:
I Like Them Fluffy
At The Theatre: To The Lady Behind Me
I Cant See What He Sees in Her
My favorite three of his doesn't seem to have much to do with politics but they are quite entertaining.
Another poet, the Jamaican poet, Louise Bennett Coverly (Miss Lou) informed us, criticized us and entertained us with her poetry. Political issues of the day such as brain drain where talented people were leaving the island and going to England provided much fodder such as in "Colonization in Reverse." Miss Lou's poetry not only entertained but provided historical and political insight of events.

So to honor my influential poets at a time when so many Republican candidates are running for president and our former governor released thirty- three years of his tax return, my poem of the week:




No comments:

Post a Comment