Sunday, July 27, 2014

A review of "The Collection"

Yesterday, I had a poetry reading event. In addition, I received a review of The Collection from Meryl Stratword (author of The Magician's Daughter) and will share the review with you.

Here are some of the poems that especially appealed to me and my thoughts thereon:Fairy Tale:  I'm currently reading anthologies of fairy tale poems.  Anne Sexton's Transformations remains one of my favorite books on the subject.
Running From Love:  I like the way the chorus repeats itself like a song.Loaded Gun:  It brings to mind Emily Dickinson's famous poem, My Life Had Stood a Loaded Gun.  Susan Howe wrote an entire book about that one Dickinson poem, My Emily Dickinson.The Heart of Man:  I like the use of metaphor.The Ugly Girl:  This is really interesting in its use of alter ego.  You could do more with this.  And I notice Cinema Paradiso has just opened a film on this theme, The Double.Wolf:  I'm just now reading a beautiful novel with a wolf man theme, Alice Hoffman's Second Nature.A Visit to Brighton:  This is my favorite, and, in my opinion, your best work.  It excels in its narrative drive and in its use of specific detail.  Or, as they say, showing, not telling.Neolithic's Best: I've also been to Stonehenge!No Title:  I like the repetition of shoot me.  This is a good one for poetry readings!Everywhere:  Surreal.  I like the mysteriousness of this one, its dream-like quality.
Many thanks for your book!  It's now on my bookshelf, alphabetically,  between Lucille Clifton and Emily Dickinson.
Love, Meryl

Have you read The Collection? If yes, share your comments with me below.

No comments:

Post a Comment